EL-ENG-11-01—Initial certification of calibration consoles by organizations delegated by Measurement Canada
Issue date: 2018-08-15
Effective date: 2018-08-15
Revision number: 1
Table of contents
- 1.0 Scope
- 2.0 Purpose
- 3.0 Authority
- 4.0 References
- 5.0 Definitions
- 6.0 Applying to perform initial calibrations and certifications
- 7.0 evaluation criteria
- 8.0 Review of information provided
This document is applicable to delegated organizations applying to perform initial calibrations and certifications of electricity calibration consoles under the Measurement Canada Delegation of Authority Program. Details of the program are found in the document C-D-01:2017—Conditions for the Delegation of Authority for the Calibration and Certification of Measuring Apparatus Pursuant to the Electricity and Gas Inspection Act.
The purpose of this document is to establish criteria, as required by section 11.8.2 of C-D-01:2017for organizations wishing to perform initial calibrations and certifications of electricity calibration consoles.
This document has been issued under the authority delegated to the Senior Engineer, Electricity Measurement.
- EL-ENG-12-01—Requirements for the Certification and Use of Measuring Apparatus—Electricity Meter Calibration Consoles
- C-D-01:2017—Conditions for the Delegation of Authority for the Calibration and Certification of Measuring Apparatus Pursuant to the Electricity and Gas Inspection Act
For the purposes of this document, the definitions in C-D-01: 2017 apply.
6.0 Applying to perform initial calibrations and certifications
Organizations wishing to perform initial calibrations and certifications of electricity calibration consoles must apply under Measurement Canada’s Delegation of Authority Program and provide all information required by this document.
Applicants must provide the following information for both the calibration console being considered and one that is similar and has previously been calibrated and certified:
- make and model
- year of manufacture
- hardware and firmware versions
- user manual(s)
- other related technical information as identified in EL-ENG-12-01
Applicants must also indicate any differences between the calibration console and the previously certified
console, including those related to:
- technical specifications
- functions and features
- intended uses
7.0 Evaluation criteria
7.1 Compliance criteria
Applications will be considered on the basis of compliance with the following criteria:
1) Unless otherwise noted, the following items are the same for the calibration console as compared with another console which has been previously certified by the applicant:
- Make and model
- Hardware and firmware versions
- Voltage and current ratings
- Number of meter-under-test positions
- Operating modes (automatic, semi-automatic, manual)
- Provisions for meter testing (optical/pulse pickups, meter mounting arrangements (sockets, etc.), internal counters)
- Reference meters
2) The console for which initial certification is sought has been certified for the same meters and test points as established for the previously certified console. The addition of any test points must be accepted by a Measurement Canada regional electricity specialist on a case-by-case basis and will be considered only for units of measurement or functions included on the certificate of the previously certified console.
Measurement Canada will review the information provided by the applicant and may request additional information for review.
7.2 Applicant’s compliance statement
A management representative for the applicant must attest to the following:
1) The calibration console under consideration is substantially the same as the console previously certified by the applicant.
2) The organization making application has personnel that are qualified and have experience in calibrating and certifying the measurement apparatus being considered in the application.
8.0 Review of information provided
A Measurement Canada electricity specialist, with support from the Engineering and Laboratory Services Directorate and the Program Development Directorate, as necessary, will review the information provided.
Based on the review and acceptance of the evaluation criteria, Measurement Canada will authorize the initial calibration and certification of the electricity meter calibration console identified in the application.
|1||15 August 2018||
Updated the document format;
Removed reference to S-E-01;
Made editorial updates.
- Date modified: