S-EG-01—Electricity and gas meter pattern approval applications—quality and measurement reliability information requirements in support of a lengthened initial reverification period
Information bulletin—Measurement Canada publishes general requirements in support of lengthened initial reverification periods for natural gas and electricity meters
Category: Electricity and gas
Specification: S-EG-01 (rev. 2)
Document(s): (see References 3.0)
Issue date: 2011-10-03
Effective date: 2011-10-03
Supersedes: S-EG-01 (rev. 1)
Table of contents
This specification establishes quality and measurement reliability information requirements for electricity and natural gas meter pattern approval applications in support of the lengthening of a meter's initial reverification period.
The provision permitting approval applicants to apply for a lengthened initial reverification period is applicable to the following electricity and natural gas meter types:
1.1 Electronic single customer electricity meters and multiple customer metering systems (MCMS), where:
- The meter class, type or design received Measurement Canada approval on or after January 1st, 2004; or
- The meter class, type or design received a formal revision to its notice of approval on or after January 1st, 2004 and the specific meter class, type, or design to which the application relates, continued to be produced by the meter manufacturer on or after January 1st, 2004.
1.2 Diaphragm gas meters, where:
- The meter class, type or design has a rated air capacity of less than 240 cubic ft/hour (6.8m3/hr).
1.3 Electronic volume conversion devices, where:
- The electronic volume conversion device is of a class, type or pattern that is designed to be installed on the instrument drive or magnetic coupling of a turbine, rotary or diaphragm meter and excludes a conversion function that is contained within a flow computer.
1.4 Ultrasonic gas meters, where:
- The meter class, type or design includes a battery-powered register and associated processing circuitry, all enclosed within the same meter case and is used to measure volumes of gas at working pressures up to a maximum of 200 kPa.
This specification is issued pursuant to subsection 9(4) and 12(1)(c) of the Electricity and Gas Inspection Act and subsection 12(1) and section 13 of the Electricity and Gas Inspection Regulations.
3.1 Electricity and Gas Inspection Act (R.S. 1985, c. E-4), ss. 9(4), ss.12(1)(c).
3.2 Electricity and Gas Inspection Regulations (SOR/86-131), ss. 12(1), s. 13.
3.3 Bulletin E-26—Reverification Periods for Electricity Meters and Metering Installations
3.4 Bulletin G-18—Reverification Periods for Gas Meters, Ancillary Devices and Metering Installations
3.5 Bulletin E-28—Electricity Meters Qualified for a Lengthened Initial Reverification Period of 10 years
3.6 Bulletin G-03—Natural Gas meters and Ancillary devices Qualified for a Lengthened Initial Reverification period
3.7 ISO 9001:2000 Quality management systems—Requirements
4.1 As part of the additional information required for an application for pattern approval per paragraph 13(f) of the Electricity and Gas Inspection Regulations, and where an applicant wishes to have a meter meeting the criteria stated in clause 1.0 considered for the purposes of lengthening the initial reverification period, the applicant shall provide the following information with regard to the subject meter:
- a description of the manufacturer's quality management system (ISO 9001:2000 or equivalent) that is accredited or registered by an entity (other than Measurement Canada) that is nationally or internationally recognized. Proof of accreditation or registration shall be provided to MC.
- a written attestation signed by the meter manufacturer's head of engineering and responsible quality authority in support of a specified meter's performance reliability and the applicant's request for a lengthened initial reverification period.
- for meters eligible for application under clause 1.1 (b), an attestation by the meter manufacturer with regard to the meter's production chronology.
4.2 Where a meter's notice of approval recognizes different meter configurations, makes, models, types or sub-types as being approved, and the applicant wishes to have the different variations considered of equal quality and measurement reliability for the purposes of being subject to the lengthened initial reverification period, the applicant shall clearly describe and attest to each make, model, configuration, rating or capacity to which application of the lengthened initial reverification period is being sought.
4.3 For the purposes of applying this specification and specification S-S-05 to multiple customer metering systems (MCMSs), each meter within an MCMS shall be considered to represent one metering unit for the purposes of establishing the total meter population and the selection of individual sample meters. For example, if one MCMS represents 10 meters or metering points, 20 complete systems sampled in accordance to S-S-05 would meet the minimum sample size requirement.
4.4 The formal lengthening or shortening of a meter's initial reverification period shall be determined on the basis of the provision of the information in clauses 4.1 and 4.2 and on the qualifying guidance provided by the documents referred to in clauses 3.3 and 3.4, as applicable. In this regard, qualifying meters may also be the subject of further in-service eligibility criteria.
4.5 Where a meter qualifies for a lengthened initial reverification period under this specification, the application of a lengthened initial reverification period to eligible meters of a specific meter type, class, make, model or configuration shall be communicated by way of Measurement Canada's website.
5.1 The purpose of this revision is to add certain multiple customer metering systems to the document's scope and clarify the applicability of the requirements for multiple customer metering systems.
5.2 The purpose of revision 1 was to add certain diaphragm gas meters, ultrasonic gas meters and electronic volume conversion devices to the document's scope.
- Date modified: