Standards calibration — Mass
Sets of standards (weight kits) belonging to Measurement Canada inspectors and authorized service providers are verified for use in the field.
- Weights used to inspect class III, IIIHD and IIII scales are verified to meet the tolerances in Schedule IV, Part III or IV of the Weights and Measures Regulations by a direct comparison to traceable standards.
- High precision weights used to inspect class II devices (typically used to weigh precious metals) are verified to meet the tolerances in Schedule I or II of the Weights and Measures Regulations by multiple build up inter-comparisons.
- Temperature: 19 °C to 21 °C
- Pressure: ambient
- Humidity: 40 % to 60 %
- Weights exceeding 5 kg and used to inspect class III, IIIHD and IIII scales are calibrated by Measurement Canada regional offices.
- All other weights are calibrated by Measurement Canada's Approval and Calibration Services Laboratory (ACSL) in Ottawa.
Only standards used by Measurement Canada inspectors and authorized service providers are calibrated by Measurement Canada's laboratories. Standards and apparatus must be authorized and registered with Measurement Canada to qualify for this service.
Request calibration services
To request calibration services, complete the Calibration Services Request (CSR) form. A form must be completed for each set of standards.
Issues have been reported with the use of Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. If you are using these browsers, the form can still be downloaded by saving it to your computer.
- In Chrome, the save button is located in the bottom right corner.
- In Mozilla Firefox, the save button is located in upper right corner.
You may wish to notify the mass laboratory of when it can expect to receive your standard(s) in order to help expedite the calibration process.
Note: Ensure the weight kit meets the following requirements:
- The case and any boxes inside the case all have a permanent label which includes a visible serial number. All other numbers that may be confused with the serial number must be removed.
- All weights used to inspect class III, IIIHD and IIII scales are marked with a distinct serial number if they are greater than or equal to 1 g.
- Only weights listed on the previous certificate of calibration are included in the set of standards. If weights need to be added to a set, contact the calibration services laboratory.
Applicants are responsible for shipping arrangements and charges.
A completed copy of the Calibration services request (CSR) form must accompany each set of standards. Ensure that an active/valid shipping account number for return shipping is identified on the form.
Weights exceeding 5 kg and used to inspect class III, IIIHD and IIII scales are to be sent to a regional Measurement Canada office.
All other weights are to be sent to:
Measurement Canada, ACSL
151 Tunney's Pasture Driveway
Packages not meeting the requirements listed below may not be accepted.
- All weights are stored within a single primary case and packaged in a reusable container suitable for shipping to ensure the weights are protected.
- Containers must not be sealed with nails. Crates or boxes with a hinged door or cover fastened with screws are acceptable.
- Provisions for re-packaging and the return of standards must be made before delivery. See Return of standards for more details.
Return of standards
Arrangements for the return of your standards are your responsibility. However, arrangements can also be made with Measurement Canada provided that an account number and waybill are provided in advance.
Any cost associated with the re-packaging of standards is your responsibility.
- Date modified: