Standards calibration — Mass
Only standards used by Measurement Canada inspectors and authorized service providers are calibrated by Measurement Canada's laboratories. Standards and apparatus must be authorized by and registered with Measurement Canada to qualify for this service.
For standards used to inspect class III, IIIHD and IIII scales:
- A direct comparison method is used to determine whether the tolerances in Part III or IV (as applicable) of Schedule IV of the Weights and Measures Regulations have been met.
For high precision standards used to inspect class II scales (typically used to weigh precious metals):
- A series of intercomparisons are used to determine whether the tolerances in Part I or II (as applicable) of Schedule IV of the Weights and Measures Regulations have been met.
Request calibration services
To request calibration services, complete the Calibration Services Request (CSR) form for each set of standards.
Issues have been reported with the use of Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. If you are using these browsers, the form can still be downloaded by saving it to your computer.
In Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, once you open the PDF, the download button is located in the upper right corner.
You can notify the mass laboratory of when it can expect to receive your standard(s) in order to help expedite the calibration process.
Weight kit requirements
Ensure the weight kit meets the following requirements:
- The case and any boxes inside the case all have a permanent label which includes a visible serial number. All other numbers that may be confused with the serial number must be removed.
- All standards used to inspect class III, IIIHD and IIII scales are marked with a distinct serial number if they are greater than or equal to 1 g.
- Only standards listed on the previous certificate of calibration are included in the set of standards. If you need to add standards to a set, contact the Approval and Calibration Services Laboratory.
Applicants are responsible for shipping arrangements and charges.
A completed copy of the Calibration Services Request (CSR) form must accompany each set of standards. Ensure that an active/valid shipping account number for return shipping is identified on the form.
Cast iron standards 5 kg and larger used to inspect class III, IIIHD and IIII scales are to be sent to a local Measurement Canada office.
All other standards meeting the following criteria are to be sent to Measurement Canada's Approval and Calibration Services Laboratory in Ottawa:
- Stainless steel standards 5 kg and smaller that are part of a weight kit used to inspect class III, IIIHD and IIII scales
- All standards used to inspect class II scales
Address of the Approval and Calibration Services Laboratory:
Measurement Canada, Approval and Calibration Services Laboratory
151 Tunney's Pasture Driveway
Packages not meeting the requirements listed below may not be accepted.
- All standards are stored within a single primary case and packaged in a reusable container suitable for shipping to ensure they are protected.
- Containers must not be sealed with nails. Containers with a hinged door or cover fastened with screws are acceptable.
- Provisions for repackaging and the return of standards must be made before delivery. See the Return of standards section for more details.
Return of standards
Arrangements for the return of your standards are your responsibility. You can make them with Measurement Canada as long as you provide an account number and waybill in advance.
Any cost associated with the repackaging of standards is your responsibility.
- Date modified: