M-01—Separate approval of the weighing and indicating elements of gravimetric devices
Bulletin: M-01-E (rev. 1)
Document(s): W&M Regulations, section 10.1; SRNAWD, section 10
1. Weighing and indicating elements approved prior to the coming into force of the Specifications Relating to Non-Automatic Weighing Devices:
Unless stated otherwise in the Notice of Approval, a major component which is approved on one Notice of Approval, individually or as part of a device, may be used in combination with another major component or components, with which it is fully compatible, when the other components are also approved individually or as parts of devices. "Major components" refers to weighing or indicating elements.
2. Weighing and indicating elements approved after the coming into force of the Specifications Relating to Non-Automatic Weighing Devices:
Devices made of major detachable components may be tested by the Laboratory as a complete unit or each major component of the device may be tested separately, according to the applicant's instructions. Major components which are tested separately are subject to tighter limits of error. Only major components which are tested separately can be mixed/matched to form other devices.
Notices of Approval will indicate whether or not the major components of a device may be separated and matched with other approved components to form a new device.
3. Whenever major components are combined to form a weighing device, an initial inspection will only be required if either component has not been previously inspected individually or as a component part of another device.
4. The capacity of a modified system shall be the smallest of the capacities of the components of that system. The indicating element must be incapable of registering a load greater than the approved capacity of the weighing element.
5. Revision: The purpose of this revision is to:
- specify the requirements for the mixing and matching of major components approved pursuant to the Specifications Relating to Non-Automatic Weighing Devices; and
- make minor revisions to the text.
- Date modified: