Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Year: 2002 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: South Park Family School
508 Douglas Street
Victoria, British Columbia V8V 2P7
Principal: Elaine Dolan
School Telephone: 250-382-5234
School Fax: 250-381-3209
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grades 1-2, all subjects
- Children should enjoy school and learning.
- Students should be able to work at levels appropriate for them and be encouraged to progress at their own rates.
- The best teachable moments often occur unexpectedly.
Enthusiastically interacts with students, parents and fellow staff to maximize everyone's learning. South Park's alternative school program includes parents closely in the education of their children with a philosophy of developing children's full intellectual, emotional, social, physical and aesthetic potential in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect. Piccioto's energy, skilled application of a wide variety of hands-on teaching strategies and obvious love of children and learning plays a central role in the success of the school. Among her many projects are:
- Big Buddies and Rainbow Thursdays, which bring younger and older students together on a regular basis for problem-solving learning activities
- exciting outings, which lead to integrated lessons in science, math, language arts: for example, an annual trip to a pumpkin farm leads to weighing and measuring the pumpkins, counting the seeds, making pumpkin pies, and writing about the experience
- numerous artistic and building projects with recycled materials, which encourage children's artistic expression
- News Time, which shows the close connection between reading, writing and spelling as students write about the "news" of one of their classmates.
South Park Family School has a waiting list of hundreds, excellence attendance rates and the students show high achievement in provincial tests of reading and writing and continue to excel in secondary school.
"Linda's relationship with her students and her parents sets a positive model for the whole school." Former principal
"Linda's method of teaching reading and writing fosters wonderful writers. It was during these important formative years that my girls developed a love of language and an aptitude for stringing words together." Parent
- Date modified: