Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2008 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Chipmunk Achievers Preschool
Langley, British Columbia V1M 3A2
Type of setting: Preschool for children ages 3 and 4
Philosophy of Care
Early intervention—by providing learning experiences and exploiting teachable moments—is a critical component of education.
Support of Child Development
- Gets to know students before they begin preschool through home visits that include both time with each family and one-on-one time with each child.
- Provides a flexible learning environment in which creative expression is encouraged.
- Is not afraid to "become a child" herself by actively playing out a role with a child: sipping imaginary tea in an imaginary teahouse or being a patient in a pretend hospital.
Involvement with Parents, Families and the Community
- Hosts an annual parent night to share resources with families, including bringing in guest speakers.
- Hosts an annual Mother's Day tea party for moms and a concert and barbecue for dads. Parents are also encouraged to participate in several field trips each year.
"She has been with the preschool for the last 18 years and I still see the spark in her eyes when she talks about her job or the families of the children she teaches. She is the most warm and loving teacher I have known." Colleague
"As my daughter continues her educational path, it is my heartfelt prayer that her path would contain many Mrs. Toths: teachers who do not see her limited potential, who give her their very best effort every single day without judgment or frustration, and in whose experienced hands she is given the room to grow at her own pace, with acceptance and patience." Parent