Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2008 – Province: Nova Scotia
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Peter Green Hall Children's Centre
1094 Wellington Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 2Z9
Type of setting: Child care centre for children ages 3.5 to 5 years
Philosophy of Care
To create an unhurried environment for growth and discovery among children, their families and the greater community. Believes children and families deserve a commitment to excellence.
Support of Child Developmen
- Children and educators are co-learners; the curriculum is negotiated and authentic; children are born ready to engage in the world around them.
- Responds to the children's interests to facilitate groups and provides materials that allow for in depth exploration.
- Demonstrates leadership in the practice of Emergent Curriculum inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach.
Involvement with Parents, Families and the Community
- Committed to the practice of portfolios where each child and family is provided a record that demonstrates both group and individual work. It provides a glimpse into the life of the classroom while allowing readers to experience the child's capabilities, resourcefulness and their relationships with the world around them.
- Advocates for the childcare profession by participating in public forums and organizing and attending events that allow for discussion with political leaders and the childcare community.
"Bobbi has developed her capacity to attune herself to children's interests, hopes, needs and desires to a degree rarely seen in teachers of young children. She is one of the highest calibre teachers I have known in my 35 years in the field." Education professor
"She does not impose adult-driven schedules and agendas. She intentionally responds to the children in a supportive, provocative and collaborative way, as colleagues and researchers might do together. The result of Bobbi's influence on children's learning can be summed up with a quote from one child in her class: "We can do anything at my school." Child care director