Amending the articles of a not-for-profit corporation
Learn how to prepare a request to amend the articles of a not-for-profit corporation under the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act (NFP Act). You can also amend your articles through the Online Filing Centre.
Although the information provided here will assist you in completing the amendment process quickly and accurately, it is not intended to replace legal advice. You may wish to consult a lawyer or other professional advisor to ensure that the specific needs of your not-for-profit corporation are met.
What documents must be filed to amend the articles of a corporation?
An application to amend articles must include:
- a completed and signed copy of Form 4004 – Articles of Amendment (See available instructions);
- if changing the corporation's name to anything other than a numbered name, you must include a Nuans Name Search Report;
- if the province of registered office is changing, a completed and signed copy of Form 4003 – Change of Registered Office Address (See available instructions);
- if any of the directors of the corporation are being changed, a completed and signed Form 4006 – Changes regarding directors would need to be filed (See available instructions); and
- the filing fee.
The articles can be in English or French or in a bilingual format.
When should I file Form 4007 – Restated Articles of Incorporation?
File the form when you want to consolidate all the changes previously made to your articles.
When a corporation has made several amendments to its articles, it may be useful to consolidate all the changes and set out the current articles of your corporation into one document. This makes it easier to consult the corporation's articles. To make this consolidation an official document, you may wish to file the restated articles with Corporations Canada. A corporation can do this by completing and filing Form 4007 – Restated Articles of Incorporation with Corporations Canada.
The following must be filed:
- completed Form 4007 – Restated Articles of Incorporation (See available instructions);
- the filing fee. No fee is payable if Form 4007 – Restated Articles of Incorporation is submitted together with a Form 4004 – Articles of Amendment.
Do I have to file Form 4004 – Articles of Amendment to change a corporation's by-laws?
No. Information on changing by-laws is available on the Corporations Canada website.
- Date modified: